You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The Falcons made the trek from the Sunshine Coast on Saturday morning and for the first time since 2010, left Ipswich with the win.

Before their Round 4 game, the Jets had won the past nine clashes between these two clubs and the last five played at North Ipswich.

The Jets had several changes heading into the match, with two players (Lachlan Roe and Matthew Gibuma – who won his call up halfway through the Jets Under 20 game) making their debuts.

Ben White returned for the injured Nemani Valekapa, while for the Falcons, Storm trio Jahrome Hughes, Brendon Smith and Tui Kamikamica were welcome additions to the side.

It soon became obvious that the Falcons had come to Ipswich with a plan; the Falcons attacked the Jets’ short side and came away with a Matt Grieve try in the 10th minute.

It was on again three minutes later when little man Guy Hamilton exposed two Jets front rowers side by side and was quick enough to exploit the weakness, putting the Falcons up 12-0 after 15 minutes.

Jets’ captain Dane Phillips then executed the perfect kick for his flying outside men and Gibuma had try number one in the Intrust Super Cup.

After 28 minutes, the Jets were on the board 12-4.

The home side tried the kick again, but this time the outcome was completely different with the Falcons going left and scoring through winger Sam Wright.

At halftime, the Falcons had proven their defensive plan of getting numbers in the tackle and slowing up any momentum the Jets may have found was working, and in attack they were testing the Jets down the blind side.

Ipswich though were confident both could be countered with good ball control and a commitment in defence.

The second half was scoreless for 10 minutes until a penalty resulted in the Falcons taking the two points on offer to lead 18-4.

Jets’ forward leader Sam Martin was denied a try after a forward pass in the 54th minute as the Jets attempted to build momentum with offloads.

However, Sunshine Coast skipper Dane Hogan found a hole in the Jets line and off the short pass crashed over with 10 minutes to play the Falcons now led 22-4.

The Falcons closed out the game with kicking precision and added another two points to lead 24-4.

When the game appeared over, the Falcons scored two more tries. The first was a second for Grieve, while the final try came after the Falcons soccer-kicked ahead for Hamilton to record his double when he scored under the posts after the fulltime siren to win the game 34-4.

Next weekend, the Jets will play the Dolphins at Redcliffe, while the Falcons will take to the sky to fly to Wynnum Manly.

See the final team line-ups and full scoring details for this game via QRL Live

SUNSHINE COAST FALCONS 34 (Guy Hamilton 2, Matthew Grieve, Samuel Wright, Dane Hogan, Matthew Soper-Lawler tries; Guy Hamilton 5 goals) def IPSWICH JETS 4 (Matthew Gibuma try) at North Ipswich Reserve.

Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners