Unbeaten Bears look to continue run
Preview of Round 5 of the Rugby League Gold Coast A Grade Competition.
Burleigh Bears v Currumbin Eagles
In a great start to the 2017 season, the Burleigh Bears are undefeated heading into Round 5 after taking home the Crackers Tangata-Toa Cup. Coach Stuart Wilkins was pleased the team controlled themselves and maintained their level of football. “It was a tough match, Tugun are always hungry and physical and is what we expected,” he said. Although Tyler Sparkes, Daymeric Pelo and Troy Leo were all standouts, the team will experience some shifts in the front row due to injury.
It was a tough week for the Currumbin Eagles who just fell short 24-20 against the Bilambil Jets. Sunday’s match against the Burleigh Bears will be a test for the season. “Although we couldn’t get the win and had far too many errors, our defence was really good against Bilambil,” coach Ryan Gundry said. Stand out players Kelly Benson and Under 19s Cooper Hennessey who played lock will be ones to watch, with Brad Williams and Liam Donnelly both returning from injury.
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Runaway Bay Seagulls
The Tweed Heads Seagulls are recovering from a physical match against the Ormeau Shearers, but in good news will see some players return from injury. Sione Alofi, Jackson Clark and Jack Cook will all make comebacks for the Round 5 clash against Runaway Bay. “We are still building combinations and working on confidence as we settle into a more constant team” Tweed coach Darryl Fisher said. Stand out players Joshua Harvey and Shaun Hinton will be ones to watch. Defeating the Southport Tigers 28-12 has given the Runaway Bay Seagulls some confidence leading into this week’s clash. Taking on another top team within the competition, coach Clinton Toopi is hopeful the team can challenge Tweed and gain another win this season.
Bilambil Jets v Tugun Seahawks
It will be a local derby this week as the Bilambil Jets take on the Tugun Seahawks. Coach Craig Rowles hopes the team can stick to what has been done at training and in the process earn themselves a home win. The Jets are unsure what to expect this weekend, especially with captain Joshua Harvey out of action due to a hamstring injury. The team will be looking at stand outs Jackson Springer and Brendan Walsh for support. The Jets know the Seahawks will be physical and fast, and they will need to complete sets and get early points on the board. Although they lost 22-14 against Burleigh, coach Martin Griese was pleased with the performance of the team. “We did well especially in defence and the boys have been working hard to put set plays back into our game, which will be good to see over the weekend” he said.
Southport Tigers v Ormeau Shearers
Ready for another tough week after losing 16-8 against Tweed, the Ormeau Shearers have been working heavily on their defensive game. “The team did everything I asked and can only keep moving up from here,” coach Jeremy Golf said. While the team push each other, and all played have been working hard to do their individual jobs, fullback Curtis Walsh has stood out from the pack. The team will be test their club depth as there are shifts in player positions and availability. Also coming into this game with a loss, the Southport Tigers will be aiming to re-establish their position within the competition. “Attitude this week was a huge focus for the team as we gave away too many penalties and the discipline across the park was lacking,” coach Tim Cannard said of the team’s most recent performance. Justin McKenna and captain Mick Esdale will be ones to guide the team forward.
Round 5 Team List
Burleigh Bears v Currumbin Eagles at Pizzey Park, Sunday, May 21 – 12.15pm
1. Sam Grant 2. Waka Wanahi 3. Troy Leo 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Oliver Regan 6. Keanu Te Kiri 7. Jacob Grant 8. Anthony Gray 9. Ricardo Parat 10. Ben Carberry 11. Daniel Schwass 12. Jesse Malcolm 13. Rhys Duke 14. Josh Rogers 15. Toby McIntosh 16. Jonagh Gardiner 17. Sam Swift
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
1. Kyle Ramage 2. Nathan Ingram 3. Miki Pihio 4. Ken Allison (c) 5. Harley Wood 6. Brad Williams 7. Travis Drought 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Kelly Benson 10. Keiran Tarrant 11. Wayne Ryburn 12. Scott Avery 13. Cooper Hennessey 14. Jacob Roby 15. Liam Donnelly 16. Ethan Williams 17. Nathan Corden
Coach: Ryan Gundry
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Runaway Bay Seagulls at Piggabeen Sports, Sunday, May 21 – 12.15pm
1.Jayden Baker 2. David Green 3. Kurtis McDonald 4. Regan Muir 5. David Sheridan 6. Kobi Annand 7. Ben Jackson 8. Ezra Howe 9. Mackensie Reid 10. Josh Harvey 11. Dane Clarke 12. Kirk Murphy 13. Shaun Hinton 14. Angus Dorante 15. Mike Grey 16. Diaz Sharrock 17. Michael McKinnon 18. Jordan Aiono 19. Jarrod Morfett
Coach: Daayl Fisher
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Walter Lauenstein 3. Matthew Gandy 4. Jamie Anderson 5. Jake Powell 6. Falani Arkell 7. Shaun Nipperess 8. Benjamin Tuala 9. Ethan Gallop 10. Jordan McLaughlin 11. Kimi Pakipaki-Hempo 12. Andrew Vela 13. Henry Chan-Ting 14. Santana Latu 15. Cruze Tamatea 16. Jackson O’Leary 17. Blake Midson
Coach: Clinton Toopi
Bilambil Jets v Tugun Seahawks at Bilambil Sports, Sunday, May 21 – 2pm
1. Luke Jaegar 2. Alex Fitzhugh 3. Luke McNamara 4. Brodie Cook 5. Matt Ryan 6. Carne Rhodes 7. Cal Lynn 8. Chris Rigney 9. Zeke Garrett 10. Wade Hall (c) 11. Jackson Springer 12. Drew McCullough 13. Tom Dawney 14. Zenon Dorrough 15. Brendan Welsh 16. Nick Bond 17. Tom Plater
Coach: Craig Rowles
1. Corey Morris 2. Adam Barnes 3. Timi Matenga 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Savern Rapana 6. Jabe Gamble 7. Nathaniel Swain 8. Bryce Thomas 9. Chris Thomas 10. Levi Norton 11. Dean Murphy 12. Ayden Lee 13. Shane Gray 14. Dylan McLaren 15. Travis Barry 17. Simi Ata
Coach: Martin Griese
Southport Tigers v Ormeau Shearers at Owen Park, Sunday, May 21 – 2pm
1. Jayden Watene 2. Lamonz Williams 3. Israel Oti 4. Jordan Stewart 5. Tawhiao Rogers 6. Nathan Wilson 7. Tuhoea Watene 8. Adam Kelly 9. Kane Rudolph 10. Corey Griffiths 11. Jake Landers 12. Joseph Ramsden 13. Michael Esdale 14. Scott Jensen 15. Lachlan Douglas 17. Te -Reihana Peters 20. Ammon Fruean
Coach: Tim Cannard
1. Curtis Walsh 2. Nathan Farragher 3. Kaya Gray-Mackey 4. Josh Walker 5. Brandon Radke 6. Blake Brown 7. Ethan Taylor 8. Matt Fatafehi 9. Dallas Chase 10. Jordan Haim 11. Trent Shield 12. Kurt Sparey 13. Jack Sanburg 14. Shane Blow 15. Chris Young 16. Fabian Te Aotonga
Coach: Jeremy Golf