You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

In a crucial match for both sides, Wynnum Manly downed Norths at BMD Kougari Oval, earning their seventh victory of the season.

A Norths mistake that was doubled by a Wynnum penalty gave the Seagulls the chance to open the scoring, doing so through centre David Mead in just the second minute.

Neither team seemed to have trouble moving the ball in the first half with penalties on both sides making it easy to maneuver the ball up and down Kougari Oval, but difficulties completing inside the 20 would be the unfortunate theme for the visitors with empty-handed possessions abundant for the Devils throughout the encounter.

The 24th minute swung favourably for the for the home side, a restart of the tackle count mounting enough pressure for interchange forward Steadman Lefau to crash over for his maiden try in the Intrust Super Cup.

On the ensuing set, Dylan Smith and Francis Molo had damaging charges that looked to set up Norths for return fire but a forward pass to Luke Pollock denied them any points.

Norths threatened to bring it back with a try before the half when outside backs Javarn White and Delouise Hoeter combined for a long run, but Pollock again found himself on the end of another forward pass, allowing the score to remain 10-0 at halftime.

Barnstorming start

Norths aimed to set the tone coming out of the break, a barnstorming run by David Faamita, followed by a repeat set pressured the Wynnum defence, but a sustained Seagull defensive effort kept the Devils at bay.

Norths continued the barrage on the Wynnum Manly line, but failed to add points to the board with two successive errors close to the line.

The pressure continued in the 53rd minute when a huge kick return sparked by Lipp saw the Devils return to attacking position, but once again found themselves unable to complete the offensive set.

Bag of tricks

This inability to finish would haunt the visitors, Wynnum bench hooker Mitch Moore stealing metres in a set that would culminate in Daniel Ogden’s 144th Queensland Cup try.

Both teams got daringly close over the next 10 minutes, a notable huge defensive set in 67th minute by Wynnum suggesting the Chook Pen would soon have reason to cheer again, but it was Devils’ Michael Lucas who’d get over next, catching Wynnum slouching on a 20m restart to race away for the long-range try.

The guile of the Devils’ wouldn’t end there, an early kick in the count almost caught Wynnum off guard again as North’s reached into bag of tricks in a late-game effort.


It was too little too late however, Wynnum keeping the 10-point buffer to claim their third home victory of the season.

“The energy and intent was very good today” said Wynnum coach Adam Brideson, who also commended the quality back-to-back performances by his young playmaking trio.

(Jayden) Berrell, Booth and (William) Brimson were all great for us today,” Brideson said.

“There hasn’t been a massive expectation given their age, but really impressed with what they’ve dished up over the last fortnight”.

Next up

Both teams defend home turf next week, Wynnum Manly taking on the Sunshine Coast Falcons and the Norths Devils hosting the Mackay Cutters.

See the full scoring details and final team line-up for this game at QRL Live

WYNNUM MANLY SEAGULLS 16 (David Mead, Stedman Lefau, Daniel Ogden tries; Aaron Booth 2 goals) def NORTHS DEVILS 6 (Michael Lucas try; Haydan Lipp goal) at BMD Kougari Oval.

Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners

View All Partners