There are only two rounds to go in the Rugby League Gold Coast with Round 16 kicking off tomorrow.
Unfortunately, the Ormeau v Runaway Bay match scheduled to be played tomorrow (Saturday, August 12) will not be going ahead due to the lack of player numbers in the Ormeau side.
Burleigh Bears v Bilambil Jets
The Burleigh Bears will take on the hungry Bilambil Jets at Pizzey Park tomorrow. After suffering a loss against the Tugun Seahawks, the Jets are rebuilding to ensure they remain in finals contention. Bilambil would have been working on attacking plays this week as they gear up for another tough match against the Bears. Mitch Spackman was a standout performer last weekend and will be aiming to lead the team to finals. The Bears sit comfortably at the top of the ladder and have been defending exceptionally well. The Bears know what to expect from the Bilambil side this weekend and will be ready for it. “We defended well and I was really happy with everyone’s performance; although a bit rough in attack, we still have room to improve,” Bears coach Stuart Wilkins said. The Bears will again see some shuffling in the playing roster with Jake Carl, Tyler Sparkes and Jesse Malcolm sitting out in last week’s match.
Currumbin Eagles v Tugun Seahawks
Sunday will see the battle of the birds with the Currumbin Eagles hosting the Tugun Seahawks at Galleon Way. Despite struggling to challenge the Burleigh Bears last weekend, the Eagles have improved and are becoming more competitive towards the end of the season. Just outside finals contention, the Eagles will be motivated to surprise Tugun and secure a win. Coming off a confident 50-6 win against the Bilambil Jets, the Tugun Seahawks will see the return of a couple of players from injury. “Once we get into the grind of things, we ran well and start to see our set plays evolve,” Seahawks coach Martin Griese said. The Seahawks are looking forward to the next couple of weeks and will not change any routines in the lead up. Adam Barnes, Zac Jones and Drumayne Dayberg-Muir will be players to look out for.
Southport Tigers v Tweed Head Seagulls
The Southport Tigers will play host to the Tweed Heads Seagulls at Owen Park on Sunday. After falling short against the Runaway Bay Seagulls 30-20 last weekend, the Seagulls are looking to cement their fourth-place position. Despite leading in the first half, the Seagulls struggled to maintain their lead and were overpowered by the physical Runaway Bay side. “Runaway Bay were strong in the middle and that’s what we have been working on,” Seagulls coach Darryl Fisher said. Players to look out for will be Josh Harvey, Shem Vaoa and Jackson Clarke. The Tigers experienced a win over the weekend, defeating the Ormeau Shearers 46-22. “We need to improve a lot in defence, complete sets and be competitive in these last few rounds,” Tigers coach Tim Cannard said. The Tigers players have been working on individual tackles, ball security and set plays, as they know the Seagulls will be hungry following their loss on the weekend. Zoram Watene and Mick Esdale will be ones to watch.
Round 16 Teams Lists
Burleigh Bears v Bilambil Jets at Pizzey Park, Saturday, August 12 – 2.15pm
1. Toby McIntosh 2. Waka Wanahi 3. Dylan Pelo 4. Te Rangiatea McDonald 5. Corey Alexander 6. Daniel Schwass 7. Jacob Grant 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Sam Grant 10. Anthony Gray 11. Jesse Malcolm 12. Sam Swift 13. Lorenzo Maafu 14. Jason Bradfield 15. Tane Rapira 16. Ethan Mafi 17. Huston Holloway
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
1. Cal Lynn 2. Brodie Cook 3. Luke Havey 4. Allan Lockwood 5. Luke Jaeger 6. Tom Daney 7. Carne Rhodes 8. Mitch Spackman (c) 9. Alex Fitzhugh 10. Wade Hall 11. Drew McCullough 12. Matt O’Rourke 13. Tom Raftery 14. Brendon Welsh 15. Harrison Burling 16. Andrew Hart 17. TBA
Coach: Craig Rowles
Currumbin Eagles v Tugun Seahawks at Galleon Way, Sunday, August 13 – 2pm
1. Jake Gould 2. Lachie Smith 3. Kenny Allison (c) 4. Miki Pohio 5. Harley Wood 6. Kyle Ramage 7. Jake Gleeson 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Kelly Benson 10. Kieran Tarrant 11. Liam Donnelly 12. Scott Avery 13. Jacob Roby 14. Ethan Williams 15. Jayde Batchelor 16. Jake Harlen 17. Brendan Ratcliff
Coach: Ryan Gundry
1. Corey Morris 2. Zac Jones 3. Jabe Gamble 4. Timi Cassidy 5. Savern Rapana 6. Grayson Te Kiri 7. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 8. Bryce Thomas 9. Chris Thomas 10. Timi Matenga 11. Tu Whakatihi 12. Ayden Lee 13. Dan Webb 14. Sam Eley 15. Chris Hodges 16. Dean Murphy 17. TBA
Coach: Martin Griese
Southport Tigers v Tweed Heads Seagulls at Owen Park, Sunday, August 13 – 2pm
1. Dylan Lagerstrom 2. Josh Wooton 3. Lewis Barnett 4. Naz Monsall 5. Classie Oti 6. Scott Jenson 7. Zoram Watene 8. Judaea Monsall 9. Izzy Oti 10. Adam Kelly 11. TBA 12. Jake Landers 13. Mick Esdale 17. Sam Morton 18. Cody Evans 19. Bronston Kennach 20. Corey Griffiths
Coach: Tim Cannard
Tweed Heads Seagulls
1. Paul Sheedy 2. David Sheridan 3. Brayden McGrady 4. Sione Alofi 5. Macauley Dawson 6. Kobi Annand 7. Jack Cook 8. Jarrod Morfett 9. Jenan Parrish 10. Josh Harvey (c) 11. Mike Gray 12. Maia Sands 13. Jackson Clarke 14. Jordan Aiono 15. Sam Tochterman 16. Shaun Hiinton 17. Shem Vaoa
Coach: Darryl Fisher