North Queensland Rugby League stalwart Mick Aprile (third from left) with Northern Division Manager Scott Nosworthy, Men of League Queensland chairman Darryl van de Velde, Northern Division chairman Leigh Anderson and Mackay Cutters CEO Troy Rovelli.
The achievements of a Mackay rugby league stalwart who assisted with the development of some of the biggest Origin stars to come out of North Queensland has been recognised by the Queensland Rugby League.
Mick Aprile, whose involvement in rugby league spans more than 50 years, was presented with Life Membership of the QRL Northern Division at last weekend’s Mackay District Rugby League grand finals.
Northern Division manager Scott Nosworthy and chairman Leigh Anderson were on hand for the presentation, along with the Men of League’s Darryl van de Velde.
Aprile formed a reputation as one of the best junior club and schoolboy coaches in the region, guiding St Patrick’s to five consecutive Confraternity Shields between 1988 and 1992.
Along the way he coached and mentored talented young players like Brett Dallas, Shannon Hegarty and Wendell Sailor, who all went on to play representative football for Queensland and Australia.
- Commenced playing club football for Brothers in 1959.
- Played for the Brothers A Grade premiership-winning teams in 1967 and 1970.
- Coached sides from Under 6s to A Grade.
- Commenced with St Mary’s Battlers – schoolboy teams / midget league.
- Brothers Under 17s undefeated premiers in 1966 (first season coaching position).
- Brothers Under 17s undefeated premiers in 1972 and 1973.
- Brothers Under 17 premiers 1976.
- Coached numerous Mackay Junior Rugby League representative sides in North Queensland titles between 1976 and 1983.
- Coached numerous Brothers Junior Rugby League sides between 1976 and 2005.
- Coached St Patrick’s College Confraternity Shield teams between 1984 and 1997 (14 years).
- Won five consecutive Confraternity Shields between 1988 and 1992:
- 1988 – Brisbane
- 1989 – Toowoomba
- 1990 – Yeppoon – Player of the Carnival – Peter Phillips
- 1991 – Charters Towers – Player of the Carnival – Butch Fatnowna
- 1992 – Brisbane – Player of the Carnival – Wendell Sailor
- Coached teams that won four state titles – Coca-Cola Cup 1990.
- Coached future Australian and State of Origin players, including Brett Dallas, Shannon Hegarty and Wendell Sailor.
- Instrumental in commencing a midget league in the 1960s with Paul Jeffcoate, Ruby Risemen, Charlie Turner and Roscoe Ryan.
- Refereed rugby league from juniors to seniors.
- Served as a selector for numerous Mackay Junior Rugby League representative sides.
- Served as a judiciary member for Mackay & District Rugby League for 20 years.
- Life Member – Mackay & District Rugby League.
- Life Member – Brothers Junior Rugby League.
- Life Member – Brothers Senior Rugby League.
- Rotary Award – Services to Junior Sport.
- Rotary Award – Services to School Sport.
- Life Member – QRL Northern Division.