The Bilambil Jets are hoping their good, hard pre-season will stand them in good stead when they face Southport in Round 2 of the Rugby League Gold Coast competion.
Coach Kevin Campion said his side had trained well in the lead up to the game – which will be their first of the season having had a Round 1 bye – which he hoped was a good sign.
“We had a good hard pre-season, with a couple of tough trial matches against Cudgen and Cabarita, where we managed to come away with a win in both,” he said. “We are ready for this season.”
A new coach at the club in season 2019, Campion was hoping his side could build on the improvements made last season.
“Bilambil were competitive last year, but lacked fitness at the back end of the season,” he said.
“The frustrating thing is the lack in numbers at training due to players having other commitments, making it difficult to put things into place.
“(However), players are positive and engaging with coaching staff.”
Their opponents this week Southport had a good Round 1 win over 2018 minor premiers Currumbin Eagles winning 22-18.
Before the season, Southport coach Steve Dowd had expressed concerns about the team having started their pre-season in mid-January.
However, as a youthful team on the rise – they were able to overcome the limited preparation to claim the opening round win.
While paying due respect to their performance, Campion held the same mindset as most coaches and was more concerned with his team performing at their best level.
“I don’t know a lot about Southport, last week was a great win for them,” he said.
“Currently my expectations are at a medium level, with no pressure and no expectations.
“I know my boys will be highly competitive, they’ll win some and lose some, but the teams they play will know they have played a competitive game of footy.”
Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade Round 2 team lists
Burleigh Bears v Runaway Bay Seagulls at Pizzey Park, Saturday March 23– 4pm
1. Henare Wells 2. Regan Ogle-Muir 3. Josh Berkers 4. Justin Tavae 5. Te McDonald 6. Conner Toia 7. Matt Egan 8. Oliver Percy 9. Hayden Hansen 10. Tyler Sparkes 11. Matt Robinson 12. Api Noema 13. Jeff Lynch 14. Sam Saville 15. Reece Summer 16. Gene Ropoama 17. Ben Valeni
Coach: Matt Foster
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Queille Murray 3. Ben Fritz 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Jake Powell 6. Alan White 7. James Poland 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Jenan Wedderburn-Parrish 10. Taniel Palavi 11. Darcy Sims 12. Taylor Daniels 13. Tane-James Rapira 14. Kimihia Pakipaki-Hemopo 15. Javarn Nofoagatotoa 16. Daniel Kelly 17. Brodie Hannon
Coach: Nick Gleeson
Ormeau Shearers v Currumbin Eagles at Brien Harris Oval, Sunday March 24 – 2pm
1. Liam Hori-Clark 2. Lewis Prizeman 3. Jamain Iroa 4. Elijah Nicholas 5. Shay Stevens 6. Tye Barry 7. Grayson Te Kiri 8. Timothy Wolens 9. Chase Kereama-Williams 10. Diaz Sharrock 11. Kahil Johnson 12. Jesse Malcolm 13. Blake Midson 14. Jaymz Te Rupe Douglas-Webb 15. Anthony Gray 16. Keaston Schmidt 20. Kingi Akauola
Coach: Julius Kuresa
1. Bayley Gill 2. Kurt Perry 3. Kenny Allison 4. Jake Smith 5. Mike McKinnon 6. Luke Jurd 7. Phil Ramage 8 . Pele Peletelese 9. Josh Campbell 10. Stuart Mason 11. Mike Gray 12. Matt Munckton 13. Jarrod Gill 14. Dan Mortimer 15. Harry Wecker 16. Harrison Burling 17. Jake Gleeson
Coach: Ryan Gundry
Southport Tigers v Bilambil Jets at Owen Park, Sunday March 24 – 2.10pm
Livestream at the Rugby League Gold Coast Facebook page
1. Kyle Kennedy 2. Ronin Reo 3. Lee Turner 4. Jack Conlon 5. Corey Walker 6. Kobi Annand 7. Liam Hampson 8. Lachlan Douglas 9. Jacob Pottinger 10. Luke Polson 11. Tu Whakathi-Paikea 12. Simione Ata 13. Kebjarvei Vaetoe 14. Te Doyle 15. Daniel Shannon 16. Devon Toa 17. Adam Kelly
Coach: Steve Dowd
1. Luke Jaeger 2. Sam Beazley 3. Conrad Green 4. Max Campion 5. James Garner 6. Carne Rhodes 7. Rex Johnson 8. Mitch Spackman 9. Tom Rowles 10. Kobi Hugen 11. Jack Rowles 12. Jack Welsh 13. Josh Quin 14. PJ Tevaga 15. Tom Raferty 16. Ryan Taylor 17. Brendan Welsh
Coach: Kevin Campion
Bye - Tugun