Defending champs Runaway Bay will be looking to bounce back when they host the Tugun Seahawks in Round 3 of the Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade competition.
Bay, who broke a 13-year premiership drought last season, started the season with a big win over Ormeau in Round 1, but couldn’t match the Burleigh Bears in Round 2.
Tugun will be fresh after having the bye last weekend, something Bay coach Nick Gleeson said is likely to work in the visitor’s favour.
“Byes can come at good times for some teams,” he said. “We have a lot of injuries and are looking forward to ours. Tugun will be fresh and ready to go.”
Runaway Bay suffered some injuries pre-season and are calling on depth in the early portion of the season.
Gleeson said they are looking to build consistency in the short term to build towards finals in the long term.
Like Bay, Tugun will also be looking to bounce back from a loss against Burleigh. In Round 1, the Seahawks pushed the Bears all the way, but fell short 22-16.
Tugun have had a week off to regroup since then and will be keen to get their first win on the board.
“We are expecting a tough game from the reigning premiers,” Seahawks coach Clint Barends said.
“They will be looking for an improved performance after their loss last weekend.
“We have worked hard in the pre-season. Although we were beaten by Burleigh in Round 1, I was happy with the team’s effort.”
Kick-off between the Seagulls and the Seahawks at Runaway Bay Seniors is this Sunday, March 31 at 2pm.
Elsewhere in the third round of the QTOP A Grade Competition the Bilambil Jets will host the Ormeau Shearers.
The Jets impressed last week with a 22-16 win over the Tigers, while the Shearers are looking for their first win of the season.
Finally, the Currumbin Eagles host the red-hot Burleigh Bears. Burleigh are unbeaten in the first fortnight of the competition and sit alone on top of the ladder.
Currumbin were minor premiers in 2018 and come into this game having posted 42 points against Ormeau in Round 2.
Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade Competition Round 3
Bilambil Jets v Ormeau Shearers – Sunday, March 31 at Bilambil Seniors, 2pm
1. Luke Jaeger 2. Sam Beazley 3. Conrad Green 4. Max Campion 5. James Garner 6. Carne Rhodes 7. Rex Johnson 8. Mitch Spackman 9. PJ Tevaga 10. Kobi Hugen 11. Jack Rowles 12. Jack Welsh 13. Josh Quin 14. Tom Raftery 15. Ryan Taylor 16. Brendan Welsh 17. Bailey Faull
Coach: Kevin Campion
1. Jay Melrose 2. Jamain Iroa 3. Brogan Melrose 4. Elijah Nicholas 5. Shay Stevens 6. Joshua Willetts 7. Tye Barry 8. Timothy Wolens 9. Grayson Te Kiri 10. Jesse Malcolm 11. Parahi Wilson 12. Kia Sands 13. Blake Midson
Coach: Julius Kuresa
Currumbin Eagles v Burleigh Bears – Sunday, March 31 at Currumbin Seniors, 2pm
1. Bayley Gill 2. Kurt Perry 3. Kenny Allison 4. Jake Smith 5. Mike McKinnon 6. Luke Jurd 7. Phil Ramage 8. Pele Peletelese 9. Josh Campbell 10. Stuart Mason 11. Mike Gray 12. Matt Munckton 13. Jarrod Gill 14. Dan Mortimer 15. Harry Wecker 16. Harrison Burling 17. Jake Gleeson
Coach: Ryan Gundry
1. George House 2. Te Mcdonald 3. Justin Tavae 4. Regan Muir Ogle 5. Reece Tapine 6. Josh Rogers 7. Matt Egan 8. Sam Saville 9. Jordon Scott 10. Ben Valeni 11. Reece Summer 12. Darius Farmer 13. Kai O Donnell 14. Brett Stratton 15. Gene Ropoama 16. Huston Holloway 17. Bailey Court
Coach: Matt Foster
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Tugun Seahawks – Sunday, March 31 at Runaway Bay Seniors, 2pm
Livestream available at the RLGC Facebook page
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Queille Murray 3. Ben Fritz 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Jake Powell 6. Alan White 7. James Poland 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Jenan Wedderburn-Parrish 10. Javarh Nofoagatotoa 11. Darcy Sims 12. Taylor Daniels 13. Tane-James Rapira 14. Kimihia Pakipaki-Hemopo 15. Mitchell Barry 16. Daniel Kelly 17. Brodie Hannon
Coach: Nick Gleeson
1. Wyndham Peachey 2. Troy Canning 3. Jabe Gamble 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Corey Morris 6. Keanu Te Kiri 7. Jacob Grant 8. Josh Harvey 9. Sam Meskell 10. Nick Harrold 11. Bryce Thomas 12. Ayden Lee 13. Issac Worboys
Coach: Clint Barends
Main Photo: Runaway Bay in action during the 2018 grand final - FILE IMAGE