You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Hunters fire to beat Capras

PNG Hunters came out firing against Central Queensland Capras at McIndoe Park in Emerald tonight, determined to get their first win of the Intrust Super Cup season. 

The fire and the passion paid off, with the Hunters finishing 28-10 victors. 

Hunters coach Michael Marum said he was very pleased with his team's efforts.

"We worked really hard in that first half," Marum said. 

"In the second half we had a lot of possession, but in the early part of the second half, around the 20-minute mark, we just kept dropping the ball... but good to see the boys get a win.

"It was a good win away - it's our first for the season, so hopefully more to come."

The Capras' 500th Intrust Super Cup game was quite the spectacle; there was a massive crowd, including a big Papua New Guinea contingent proudly waving signs and flags, fire, sparklers and a drone even dropped the ball off before kick-off. 

The Capras' mascot Col was also working the crowd and the atmosphere was electric.

Col the Capra. Photo: QRL Media
Col the Capra. Photo: QRL Media

Marum said he was pleased with the young guns in his team; and with Ase Boas, Moses Meninga and Brendon Gutono on the edge. 

Hunters' Gutono crossed the white line just 10 minutes into the game, to put the Hunters up 4-0, and the team did not ease up from that moment. 

Capras responded six minutes later, with Maipele Morseu scoring and BJ Aufaga-Toomaga converting. 

Hunters' Junior Rop and Bland Abavu both scored tries before half time; and Boas converted both to bring the half time score to 16-6. 

Ase Boas kicking for goal. Photo: QRL Media
Ase Boas kicking for goal. Photo: QRL Media

Capras' Kainoa Gudgeon was first to cross the white line in the second half in the 63rd minute, closing the gap and bringing the score to 16-10; Aufaga-Toomaga missed the conversion. 

Charlie Simon was subbed on by Marum in 65th minute, and made a near immediate impact, scoring for the away side; Boas converted to bring the score to 22-10. 

Hunters with the ball. Photo: QRL Media
Hunters with the ball. Photo: QRL Media

Hunters' Meninga crossed with four minutes to go, and Boas converted, to seal the win; as Capras' commentator Cameron Stallard said "they came, they hunted and they got the two points".  

Hunters face Ipswich Jets in Round 7 on Saturday. 

"We have a tough one at home now against the Jets," Marum said, hopeful his team could back up with another win. 

"We just take one game at a time.

"I think we've had a fair bit of disappointment in our games, back at home too - we haven't won at home this year, so looking forward to a good game at home come Saturday."

Match: Hunters v Jets

Round 7 -

Full Time

Home Team


Scored 10 points

Away Team


Scored 28 points

Venue: Oil Search National Football Stadium, Port Moresby

Capras next face Sunshine Coast Falcons on Thursday.