You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Wright double can't stop Gulls from holding on against Cutters

The Tweed Seagulls continued their push towards the pointy end of the Intrust Super Cup ladder, edging out a game Mackay Cutters outfit at BB Print Stadium.

The Seagulls made use of a stiff tailwind in the first half to take a hold on the contest before withstanding a spirited comeback from an undermanned Mackay side, holding on for a narrow 14-12 win.

Tweed opened the scoring early in the contest, with a short pass from Christian Hazard giving Treymain Spry space on an overlap. The pacey centre then darted through a gap to score down the right flank.

The visitors dug their heels in to repel a Mackay attack, with Tweed’s defence stopping Yamba Bowie inches from the try line before being awarded a penalty for a late hit on the kicker. Lindon McGrady’s successful kick pushed the lead out to 8-0.

A lack of discipline would again be Mackay’s undoing midway through the first half, with consecutive penalties gifting Tweed excellent field position before Talor Walters touched down in the right corner off the back of some great passing through the ‘Gulls backline.

Already missing regular five-eighth Lloyd White; the Cutters’ night went from bad to worse approaching halftime when halfback Cooper Bambling went down with a syndesmosis injury to his ankle before Carlin Anderson kicked a penalty goal on the stroke of halftime to at least get the hosts on the board, but still trailing 14-2.

Despite squandering two more genuine chances at points early in the second half, Mackay began to show some much-needed composure, sparking themselves back into action with a 40/20 kick which led to their first try of the night, with Shane Wright forcing his way over the stripe to bring the hosts back into the contest at 14-8.

Makeshift halfback Mitch Dunn showed his class in stabbing a grubber kick to the in-goal which deflected off a Tweed player and into the path of Wright for his second try of the night, but a failed sideline conversion attempt from Anderson left the Cutters racing the clock to find more points.

However, they were unable to do so as the Seagulls hung on for a tightly fought two-point win.

Jayden Hodges was a strong performer for the Cutters, despite the loss. Photo: FILE IMAGE
Jayden Hodges was a strong performer for the Cutters, despite the loss. Photo: FILE IMAGE

“Disappointed not to come away with two points tonight,” Mackay coach Steve Sheppard lamented post-game.

“I thought defensively we did enough to win that game, but at crucial stages we took the wrong option.

“We overplayed our hand and made some choices that looking back we probably shouldn’t have tried.

“We were missing that experience in the middle towards the end and lacking game management.

“But a few boys really stepped up and lead from the front tonight, Wrighty has been consistent all season, (Jayden) Hodges too.

"There’s a short turnaround now so we’ll take some lessons out of it and we’ll improve.”

Next weekend, the Cutters host the Burleigh Bears on Thursday evening at BB Print Stadium.

The Seagulls will travel to Dolphin Stadium to take on a desperate Redcliffe side in the Channel 9 QLD TV match next Sunday at 1.10pm.


Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners

View All Partners