You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Flying Falcons flay Magpies

The Sunshine Coast Falcons made the most of their first televised match for 2019 putting on a 12 tries to one masterclass on Sunday afternoon at Davies Park.

In a dominant display, the Falcons at one point led their opposition in line breaks 11-1 and scored the majority of their tries from long range.

The 68-point win is the largest ever in the Sunshine Coast’s history, toppling the previous largest recorded win by four points.

The home side came into the match after a loss to Wynnum Manly in Round 8 when they fell just short of a stunning comeback.

In contrast, the Sunshine Coast Falcons were seeking a club record nine wins in a row and are currently sitting at the top of the Intrust Super Cup ladder.

With plenty of NRL talent on show across the park, both sides started well making good metres with the ball in hand. The Magpies defence showed enthusiasm early keeping pace the with Falcons attack.

Sandor Earl gave Souths a scare with the first try scoring opportunity, but he fumbled his chance knocking the ball forward.

However, it wasn’t long before a mistake at the back of the scrum from Magpie Alex Bishop handed possession back to the Falcons in excellent field position.

The visitors were quick to capitalise on the opportunity. In what is becoming a bit of Falcons specialty play, Nicho Hynes delivered a slick cut out pass to Jon Reuben who placed the ball down in the corner for the first points of the match.

Once the attacking raid began from the Falcons, Souths could do little to stem the flow of points as the Falcons were over again the next attacking set.

In-form five eighth Cooper Johns put Joe Stimson into space on the short side and the back rower accelerated to the line. Murphy converted taking the score to 12-0 after eleven minutes.

Another mistake from the home side inside their own half resulted in the Falcons third try in the 17th minute. Johns threw a cut out ball to rival Hynes first try effort and Earl scored in the corner. Murphy again slotted the conversion taking the score to 18-0.

Fullback Hynes defused a fifth tackle bomb just minutes later before stepping past a defender and delivering the ball to Reuben who put on the afterburners to score a runaway, extending the lead to 24-0 after just 22 minutes. 

At the 31st minute, Reuben crossed for his hat trick on the back of yet another money ball from Hynes. Murphy maintained his 100% success rate with the conversion taking the score to 30-0.

The visitors tightened the screws further in the 35th minute with a contender for try of the year.

In an outstanding length of the field effort, Hynes broke the line on the back of a Chris Lewis pass before deftly flicking the ball behind him to a rampaging Lachie Roe who chewed up the metres before handing the ball on to centre Justin Olam who scored under the posts.

There was yet more pain in store for the home side as Harry Grant landed an almost 20-metre cut-out pass squarely on Curtis Scott’s chest minutes later.

Scott then held the ball up just enough to put Earl over for his second try. Murphy made it 7/7 and the visitors headed to the break leading 42-0.

Coach Eric Smith was said to be pleased with his side’s talk and enthusiasm in the first half, reminding them to keep the communication going and not to release the pressure valve during the second stanza.

The Falcons started the second half with a rare win against the feed of the scrum.

Grant then got out quickly before testing out his own flick passing skills with a clever ball to the ever-present Roe who was rewarded with a try.

The visitors cracked the half century with a try to backrower Lewis in the 48th minute. He collected a Murphy grubber to nab his first try of the match. Murphy successfully converted taking the score to 54-0.

Only 10 minutes later, Hynes pencilled his name next to another impressive try assist as he skipped across the field on the kick return before handing the ball off to Reuben.

Reuben ran 70 metres standing up Souths’ Tanah Boyd on his way to a club record fourth try in the match.

Murphy had the ball on a string as he slotted his 10th conversion in a row, extending the lead to 60-0.

 Justin Olam was the next player to cross the line, pushing through some flimsy Souths defence to score the Falcons 11th try in the 68th minute. Murphy converted taking the score 66-0.

In a well-deserved reward, fullback Hynes celebrated his 50th Intrust Super Cup match with a try.

The fullback strolled through the line before throwing a dummy and scoring under the posts.

A successful conversion meant the Falcons had scored 72 unanswered points in just as many minutes. 

The game closed with a consolation try to Souths Jadyn Su’A taking the final score to 72-4.