The Intrust Super Cup returns this weekend!
The best of the competition showed what they could do in the strong XXXX Queensland Residents win over NSW – and this weekend, most players will be back in action for their club teams.
This Sunday, the cameras will see the Townsville Blackhawks host the as yet undefeated Sunshine Coast Falcons. The match will be back on 9GEM from 1pm with kick off at 1.10pm.
Below are the ‘Stats that Matter’ for each match up in Round 10.
Match: Tigers v Seagulls
Round 10 -
Venue: Langlands Park, Brisbane
Easts Tigers v Tweed Seagulls
Langlands Park on Saturday, May 18 – 3pm
Head-to-Head: Tweed 16 Easts 15 Drawn 1
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #TIGESvTWEED
Tipping % - via QRL Tipping: Tigers 87% Tweed 13%
- Two teams in good form face off to start Round 10 – however, the Tigers have had the better of their opponents in recent encounters have won four of the past five games played against the Gulls.
- The home side have also won the past four, and five of the past six match against the Tweed Seagulls when they have played at Langlands Park.
- The Tigers have been strong at home in general and have taken the two competition points in their past six, and 11 of their past 12 home games.
- Fresh from his role with the XXXX Queensland Residents team, Tweed Seagull Christian Hazard is set to play his 50th Cup game. Formerly with Burleigh and Redcliffe, he has been named at starting hooker for this game.
Match: Devils v Cutters
Round 10 -
Venue: Bishop Park, Brisbane
Norths Devils v Mackay Cutters
Bishop Park on Saturday, May 18 – 6pm
Head-to-Head: Norths 12 Mackay 11
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #DEVILSvMC
Tipping % - via QRL Tipping: Devils 88% Cutters 12%
- The four-game winning streak of the Devils was brought to a halt on a wet Piggabeen Sports Complex ground in Round 9, and Norths will be looking to rebound in front of their home crowd when they host Mackay.
- The Devils have been strong at home so far this season and have won three times in their past four games played at their Nundah base.
- The Cutters come into this match off the back of an northern derby win in Round 9 where they proved too good for the Northern Pride.
- Against the Devils, Mackay have a good record and have won the past three games played against them; including the past two played at Bishop Park.
Match: Pride v Bears
Round 10 -
Venue: Barlow Park, Cairns
Northern Pride v Burleigh Bears
Barlow Park on Saturday, May 18 – 6pm
Head-to-Head: Pride 13 Burleigh 6 Drawn 1
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #PRIDEvBEARS
Tipping % - via QRL Tipping: Pride 9% Bears 91%
Livestream: Pride TV
- There is no denying the Pride are in the midst of a form slump; so they will be hoping their can keep their recent record against the Bears intact this weekend to kick-start their season. The NQ team have won the past three and four of the past five games they have played against Burleigh.
- The Pride have lost their past seven games, including their last three at Barlow Park. Their biggest losing run in the Intrust Super Cup is eight in a row which occurred in 2017.
- The Bears are in good form this year and will be a tough proposition. Historically though, Burleigh have only won one of the eight games between these sides at Barlow Park (in 2009) with one drawn results in 2011.
- The Gold Coast side have won their past five games, including three away games.
- In milestone news – this is set to be Intrust Super Cup game 100 for in-form Bears half Jamal Fogarty who previously played with Tweed.
Match: Blackhawks v Falcons
Round 10 -
Venue: Jack Manski Oval, Townsville
- Nine Network
Townsville Blackhawks v Sunshine Coast Falcons
Jack Manski Oval on Sunday, May 19 – 1.10pm* (Live on Channel 9 QLD)
Head-to-Head: Townsville 6 Sunshine Coast 2
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #TSVBvSCF
Tipping % - via QRL Tipping: Townsville 20% Falcons 80%
- Will the Townsville Blackhawks become the first team this season to bring down the high-flying Sunshine Coast Falcons?
- The Falcons have won nine games in a row – their best ever run in the Intrust Super Cup. This includes them winning their past four away games.
- Only two other teams have started the season with nine wins – Tweed Seagulls won their first 13 games in 2011 then drew then won seven more in a dominant run – only to lose that year’s grand final. The Burleigh Bears won their first nine in 1999 before going on to win the premiership. They lost their 10th game to Redcliffe in a TV game, but eventually went on to beat them in the premiership decider.
- Regarding their opposition this weekend, the Sunshine Coast have only won one of the four games they have played against them. That was the knock out final in 2016.
- Townsville have been strong at Jack Manski Oval to date and have won three of their four home games this year.
- Former Blackhawk and current Falcon Jon Reuben's four tries against the Magpies in Round 9 was the first four-try haul in the competition since 2017.
- The Sunshine Coast's 72-4 win was their highest score and biggest win in the competition, with Todd Murphy's 12 goals equalling the most ever kicked in a Cup game.
- Another century milestone this weekend, with Blackhawks half Shaun Nona to play his 100th Cup game. Nona has also played with the Pride, Tigers and Wynnum Manly in his career.
Match: Magpies v Jets
Round 10 -
Venue: Davies Park, Brisbane
Souths Logan Magpies v Ipswich Jets
Davis Park on Sunday, May 19 – 3pm
Head-to-Head: Ipswich 25 Souths Logan 18 Drawn 1
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #SLMvJETS
Tipping % - via QRL Tipping: Souths 19% Jets 81%
- Magpies coach Jon Buchanan passes Gary O'Brien to move to seventh on the list of all-time Cup games coached (153rd game).
- Buchanan is eager to see vast improvement from his team after copping a hiding from the slick Sunshine Coast Falcons in Round 9.
- The Magpies coach resumes his club coaching commitments after doing an excellent job with the XXXX Queensland Residents in last weekend’s representative match.
- Souths Logan have lost their last eight games at Davies Park, a worrying trend they’ll be desperate to break against the Jets.
- Ipswich’s form has been up and down this year, but with Residents five-eighth Josh Cleeland in lethal touch, they will throw plenty at the Magpies.
Match: Capras v Dolphins
Round 10 -
Venue: Browne Park, Rockhampton
CQ Capras v Redcliffe Dolphins
Browne Park on Sunday, May 19 – 3pm
Head-to-Head: Redcliffe 34 Central 7 Drawn 2
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #CQCvPHINS
Tipping % - via QRL Tipping: Capras 24% Dolphins 76%
Livestream: Capras TV
- Redcliffe will look to bounce back after an uncharacteristic performance against Burleigh in Round 9 saw them slump to a heavy defeat.
- XXXX Queensland Residents squad representatives Izaia Perese and Nathan Watts return to club football for the Dolphins and will be on a high after the big win over NSW.
- The Dolphins have won the last eight games between these two sides, with Central's last win over Redcliffe back in 2009 at Browne Park.
- Central have lost their last eight games, but they weren’t far off the Ipswich Jets in their most recent match, which featured a stunning 90m try from fullback Kainoa Gudgeon.
- This is Redcliffe's 550th cup game, as they become the first club to reach this figure. They have 347 wins, 15 draws and 187 losses.
Match: Hunters v WM Seagulls
Round 10 -
Venue: Oil Search National Football Stadium, Port Moresby
PNG Hunters v Wynnum Manly Seagulls
National Oil Search Stadium on Sunday, May 19 – 3pm
Head-to-Head: PNG 7 Wynnum 2
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #PNGvTWYN
Tipping % - via QRL Tipping: PNG 11% Wynnum Manly 89%
- The high-flying Seagulls travel to Port Moresby to take on the improving Hunters in this intriguing Round 10 clash. PNG have won the past six games between these two sides.
- While the Seagulls hold down a promising 7-2 record, the Hunters are yet to click with just the one win to their name. However, Michael Marum’s charges did push the Blackhawks all the way in their last outing, and they will be buoyed by the fact they have won all five previous games against Wynnum in PNG.
- Incredibly, PNG have lost their last four home games; and Wynnum have won four of their last five away games.
- Wynnum’s PNG international Edene Gebbie will come in for plenty of attention over the weekend after a blistering start to the season with the Seagulls.
*Statistics by Brad Tallon
**NOTE: The livestreams linked in this preview are not official QRL productions unless stated