You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Devils fire to finish on top of Jets

Norths Devils and Ipswich Jets battled it out at Bishop Park tonight, in the kick off to Round 19 of the Intrust Super Cup. 

The Devils' Paul Ulberg scored a double during the tight encounter to help secure the 16-12 win for the Devils over the Jets.

"That was tough," Devils skipper Jack Ahearn said.

"We had to be on our toes and concentrating for the full 80. The Ipswich style of attack is dangerous wherever they are on the field. Very happy after two losses to grind that out and get the two points. 

"We had really good energy. It was good to come out energetic for the full 80 and grind that one out."

Connor Broadhurst showed a big crowd why he was among the Devils’ prized recruits for 2019 when his sharp work led to the try that finally sank a valiant Jets.

With the scores tied at 12 with six minutes left, Broadhurst jinked and got outside his Ipswich defender, popping a slick pass for Ulberg to score the try that gave the Devils a 16-12 win.

Ulberg scored in front of a noisy crowd for the Devils’ Ladies’ Day, 16 minutes after Brendan Frei had crossed a few metres away to give the home team their first lead of the night.

In a high-quality game with plenty of physical clashes, Ipswich surged to a 10-0 lead after Marmin Barba, in the 16th minute, and Mitch Carpenter, in the 31st minute, crossed for tries after a glut of possession and field position.

The Devils came to life three minutes before the break when skipper Ahearn, playing in the halves, sent a grubber kick to Ulberg who did well to gather and score.

Herbie Farnworth’s conversion made the halftime score 10-6 to Ipswich, setting up for a tense second half with two teams playing for plenty.

Broadhurst – the Queensland Residents' centre – and Farnworth were among the Devils’ best in a key part of the second half when the home team began to take control.

Farnworth, who shared some fullback role tonight with the impressive David Fauid, made key metres for Norths as they wrestled back control of the game.

But the Jets find ways to stay in matches and they made the most of a penalty in the 67th minute to level the scores.

The Devils were pleased to grind out a win in a match that meant plenty to them before next weekend’s bye.

They improved their win-loss record to 12-7, cementing their fifth place and inching closer to the finals appearance that has eluded the Devils for six seasons.

The Jets remain in ninth place, outside of the top eight on points differential although Redcliffe have a game in hand on Ipswich.

The Devils have Round 19 Week 2 off before facing Northern Pride in Round 20 on August 10. 

The Jets will play Tweed Seagulls. 

Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners

View All Partners