The Holcim Cup returns as a five-team contest this weekend, with Tweed Seagulls making a welcome return to the competition.
Last weekend, the Seagulls were forced to withdraw from Round 2 after a hard shutdown of the border by the Queensland state government to all of Victoria, the Australian Capital Territory and New South Wales.
Thanks again to the collaborative efforts of all the participating club CEOs, coaches and players; the Seagulls have been allowed to take part from Round 3 this weekend.
Top five: Holcim Cup Round 2
Tweed Seagulls coach Mike Castle said he and his players were looking forward to taking part in the competition again.
“We’re really excited about coming back into the competition this week and very grateful that the other teams have been so flexible and accommodating,” Castle said.
“After the disappointment of being told we wouldn’t be playing, everyone bounced back into training on Tuesday with a smile on their face.
“Everyone living on the border have become pretty accustomed to all of these constant changes, so they’ve responded really well.
“Unfortunately, three of our players; Abbie Beecher, Lizzy Ross and Hannah Calugay aren’t able to play because they travel from Ballina.”
This weekend, the Seagulls will be one of the first teams in action, with their side facing off against West Brisbane Panthers in their first half, followed by another tough challenge against the Magpies in their second.
On demand: Holcim Cup Round 3
The Seagulls will have their in-form half Tarryn Aiken back after she played with the Panthers in Round 2 last weekend, as well as forward Jess Elliston and influential back Chelsea Baker who both featured with Easts Tigers.
“Tarryn and Jess really enjoyed last week, and appreciated the opportunity to play,” Castle said.
“They’re really important members of our team, so we’re glad to have them back.”
Souths Logan put on an attacking show last weekend in their win over Easts Tigers, with fullback Tamika Upton crossing for four impressive tries.
The Panthers featured in a tough contest against Burleigh Bears which finished in an 8-8 draw; so both teams will be aiming to get more wins on the board this weekend.
Holcim Cup Round 3 draw
|2pm||Tweed Seagulls v West Brisbane Panthers|
|2.40pm||Tweed Seagulls v Souths Logan Magpies|
|3.20pm||West Brisbane Panthers v Souths Logan Magpies|
|4pm||Burleigh Bears v Easts Tigers|
Holcim Cup Round 3 squad lists
1. Karina Brown 2. Tarnisha Lyons 3. Teaghan Hartigan 4. Jodeci Nicholson 5. Shellie Long 6. Lauren Brown 7. Zahara Temara 8. Jasmin Kemp 9. Brittany Breayley 10. Millie Boyle 11. Tazmin Gray 13. Tallisha Harden 12. Chante Temara 15. Laken Paitai 17. Jonel Lavender 14. Sara Fraser 18. Kelly Jury 20. Tyler Birch 19. Eseta Aho
Coach: Tahnee Norris
Fast five with Tarnisha Lyons
1. Keisha-Leigh Coolwell 2. Sian Lavea 3. Sara Sautia 4. Rose Vaimili-Toalepai 5. Taylor-Adeline Mapusua 6. Tayla Eldridge 7. Zhane Kameta 8. Liahona Theodore 9. Kelsey Ladbrooke-Parkin 10. Ayla Cook 11. Jessikah Reeves 12. Kim Dore 21. Tanisha Murphy Knight 14. Chanelle Kohika-Skipper 16. Mia Luafutu 22. Jayda Lofipo
Coach: Duane Rehua
Souths Logan Magpies
1. Tamika Upton 2. Sidney Taylor 3. Meg Ward 4. Amelia Kuk 5. Hayley Maddick 6. Ali Brigginshaw 7. Nakita Sao 8. Steph Hancock 9. Therese Aiton 10. Elsie Albert 11. Rona Peters 12. Lyllian Mikaio 13. Annette Brander 21. Frieda Seu 15. Kody House 14. River Smalley 17. Sulesa Siauane 22. Elania Saluni 16. Stef Gallagher 18. Jamie-Lee Lewis
Coach: Rob Brough
1. Chantelle Holloway-Samuels 2. Riley Hodgson 3. Olivia Attenborough-Doyle 4. Chelsea Baker 5. Olivia Fien 6. Diaz Seumanutafa 7. Tarryn Aiken (c) 8. Serena Martin 9. Lailee Phillips 10. Kaitlyn Phillips 11. Zara Canfield 12. Abelee Stanley 13. Brittany Faulkner (c) 14. Alani Sullivan 15. Amy-Leigh Crockett 16. Tawana Sullivan Togo 17. Linda Edmonds 18. Kirra Stedman 19. Jessika Elliston
Coach: Mike Castle
West Brisbane Panthers
1. Courtney Hodder 2. Lilly Green 3. Julia Robinson 4. Shaniah Power 5. Hayley Riccardi 6. Romy Teitzel 7. Lana Sheedy 20. Shen'e Clemments 19. Cobie-Jane Morgan 10. Lauretta Leao-Seve 16. Shannon Mato 12. Riutoto Te Hiko 18. Takiyah Nagas 14. Gemma Schnaubelt 15. Makenzie Weale 13. Taimane Levu 17. Brianna Clark 11. Charlotte Booth 8. Asipau Mafi 9. Michaela Peck
Coach: Craig Green