After swooping into form last weekend to claim two wins, the Tweed Seagulls will be playing for a place in the Holcim Cup finals when they face off in a full game against West Brisbane Panthers in Round 5.
Led by an inspired performance from Tarryn Aiken and her halves partner Chelsea Baker; the Seagulls were too strong for both Easts Tigers and the Panthers in their Round 4 match-ups.
“Off the back of both of those games, their confidence will improve even more now going into this weekend’s game,” Tweed Seagulls coach Mike Castle told the club’s website.
“We’re still in with a shot at the finals – if Tigers can't manage to take down top-of-the-table Burleigh or the Magpies in both their clashes this weekend, we will be sitting fourth on the table going into the finals.
“If we win both halves against Panthers, we’ll take their spot in third.”
Top five: Holcim Cup Round 4
The Panthers will be looking to bounce back this Saturday at Tugun after an unusually flat performance last weekend where they were held to a scoreless draw by the Tigers and pipped 10-6 by Tweed.
The Tigers too will be fighting hard for their chance to play on and feature in the finals; but face a tough challenge against Burleigh in their first half and Souths Logan in their second.
However, given the way they were able to maintain a strong defence against a more fancied Panthers side last round; the young side will be keen to aim up once more.
They split the honours with one win each per half last Sunday; and the Burleigh Bears and Souths Logan Magpies will square off once again to open Round 5 of the competition.
While the Bears claimed the overall win 16-10 after a strong start; the Magpies were able to hit back in the second half to earn themselves a point.
Both teams are set to meet in the grand final next weekend on September 5 at Pizzey Park; but given the rivalry between the two clubs, they will both be hoping to finish the tournament in top spot on the ladder.
On demand: Holcim Cup Round 5
Holcim Cup Round 5 draw
Saturday, August 29 at Tugun
|1.30pm||Burleigh Bears v Souths Logan Magpies|
|2.10pm||Burleigh Bears v Easts Tigers|
|2.50pm||Easts Tigers v Souths Logan Magpies|
|3.30pm||Tweed Seagulls v West Brisbane Panthers|
|4.10pm||Tweed Seagulls v West Brisbane Panthers|
Holcim Cup Round 5 squad lists
1. Karina Brown 2. Jodeci Nicholson 3. Teaghan Hartigan 4. Tyler Birch 5. Tarnisha Lyons 6. Lauren Brown 7. Zahara Temara 8. Jasmin Kemp 9. Brittany Breayley 10. Millie Boyle 11. Tazmin Gray 13. Tallisha Harden 12. Chante Temara 14. Sara Fraser 15. Laken Paitai 17. Jonel Lavender 18. Kelly Jury 20. Chelsea Lenarduzzi
Coach: Tahnee Norris
1. Keisha-Leigh Coolwell 2. Lucy Botton 3. Rose Vaimili-Toalepai 14. Taylor-Adeline Mapusua 5. Morgan Te Oka 6. Tayla Eldridge 7. Zhane Kameta 8. Liahona Theodore 15. Kathrine Moore 10. Ayla Cook 11. Jessikah Reeves 12. Kim Dore 13. Sara Sautia 19. Sian Lavea 20. Emily Robinson 22. Jayda Lofipo
Coach: Duane Rehua
Souths Logan Magpies
1. Hayley Maddick 2. Shae-Yvonne De La Cruz 3. Meg Ward 4. Jamie-Lee Lewis 5. Amelia Kuk 6. Ali Brigginshaw 7. Nakita Sao 8. Steph Hancock 9. Therese Aiton 10. Elsie Albert 11. Stef Gallagher 12. Lyllian Mikaio 13. Annette Brander 14. Sidney Taylor 15. Kody House 16. River Smalley 17. Sulesa Siauane 18. Mazelina Haurua 21. Frieda Seu 22. Amie Solomona
Coach: Rob Brough
1. Chantelle Holloway-Samuels 2. Olivia Fien 3. Olivia Attenborough-Doyle 4. Abelee Stanley 5. Riley Hodgson 6. Chelsea Baker 7. Tarryn Aiken 8. Kirra Stedman 9. Lailee Phillips 10. Kaitlyn Phillips 11. Zara Canfield 12. Jessika Elliston 13. Diaz Seumanutafa 14. Brittany Faulkner 16. Serena Martin 17. Alani Sullivan 20. Amy-Leigh Crockett
Coach: Mike Castle
West Brisbane Panthers
1. Gemma Schnaubelt 2. Lilly Green 3. Julia Robinson 4. Makenzie Weale 5. Hayley Riccardi 6. Romy Teitzel 7. Lana Sheedy 13. Taimane Levu 9. Michaela Peck 10. Lauretta Leao-Seve 11. Charlotte Booth 12. Shaniah Power 17. Brianna Clark 14. Lavinia Gould 16. Shannon Mato 18. Takiyah Nagas 19. Keezjah Akana 23. Anne Dufficy
Coach: Craig Green