The Intrust Super Cup gets behind the Men of League Foundation this weekend in their Round 15 matches, with teams supporting Crazy Sock Round.
The national initiative is designed to help recognise the efforts of Men on League Foundation who are a key charity that support the men, women and children involved in rugby league.
Wynnum Manly Seagulls v PNG Hunters
Match: WM Seagulls v Hunters
Round 15 -
Venue: Eskdale Park, Maryborough
Head-to-head: PNG Hunters 7, Wynnum Manly Seagulls 5
Hashtags: #intrustsupercup #WYNvPNG
Broadcast: This game is broadcast on Kayo Freebies
- The PNG Hunters and Wynnum Manly Seagulls head to Maryborough on Saturday with the Hunters keen to push Intrust Super Cup heavyweights Wynnum Manly Seagulls to the brink after their thrilling clash to open the season which the Seagulls claimed 20-18 at Runaway Bay.
- This will be the second Cup game to be played in Maryborough. The first match was in 2018 where Burleigh Bears defeated Central Queensland Capras 24-14.
- Including their thrilling win to launch the season, Wynnum Manly have won the past three games between these two sides.
- After powering to an unbeaten start to the season, the Seagulls have now lost their past three, and four of their past five games.
- Gun Seagulls five-eighth Jack Campagnolo need three points to bring up 200 in the Cup.
- This weekend, the Hunters have skipper and lock Ila Alu back from a head knock to lead the side and will also have the services of prop Epel Kapinias who is returning from an ankle injury.
Burleigh Bears v Souths Logan Magpies
Match: Bears v Magpies
Round 15 -
Venue: Pizzey Park, Gold Coast
Head-to-head: Burleigh 27, Souths Logan 14, drawn 3
Hashtags: #intrustsupercup #BEARSvSLM
- The Round 1 rematch sees Burleigh looking to bounce back from their 16-point loss to the Magpies at Davies Park, where the rain wreaked havoc for both teams.
- Since then, Burleigh have been on a roll, winning their last four games, as well as five out of six of the clashes at Pizzey Park played between the two sides.
- They will be hoping their home ground fortress will continue to provide good omens and add to their nine wins in a row at home.
- Souths come into the game with good form following their win over Tweed Seagulls last weekend where Hastings Deering Player of the Match and five-eighth Ezra Mam picked up 26 points. The haul equalled the club’s single game Intrust Super Cup record, seeing the young talent join Michael Picker, who set the against the Sunshine Coast back in 2011.
Townsville Blackhawks v Ipswich Jets
Match: Blackhawks v Jets
Round 15 -
Venue: Jack Manski Oval, Townsville
Head-to-head: Townsville Blackhawks 8, Ipswich Jets 6
Hashtags: #intrustsupercup #TSVBvJETS
Broadcast: Kayo Saturdays via Kayo Freebies
- Ipswich will be looking to make amends following their 46-12 opening round loss against Townsville this weekend, but will have to do it tough with the game played away from home.
- The stats aren’t in favour of Ipswich however, with Townsville winning the last four times the teams have matched up.
- Despite being in sixth position, Townsville’s attacking record (where they are fourth) and defensive rankings (third) hold them in much higher stead.
- The task this weekend will be a difficult one for Ipswich, who coming off their 46-0 loss to the Sunshine Coast last weekend. The result was the fourth time ever that they’ve been held scoreless, and the first time ever at home.
- The Blackhawks will be keen to improve on a loss to the ladder-leading Norths Devils last weekend.
Top five: Intrust Super Cup Round 12
Norths Devils v Brisbane Tigers
Match: Devils v Tigers
Round 15 -
Venue: Bishop Park, Brisbane
Head-to-head: Norths Devils 24, Tigers 24, drawn 3
Hashtags: #intrustsupercup #DEVILSvTIGES
- Norths will be keen on adding insult to injury against the Tigers and follow up their 40-10 victory against the side back in Round 1.
- The away team has won 13 out of the last 14 clashes between the two sides, but the fact that the Tigers are on their worst ever losing streak of eight games doesn’t suggest this will continue this weekend, barring an upset.
- However, with the Tigers having claimed victory the last seven times at Bishop Park, their fans will be hoping to see their team bounce back to make it eight.
- The Tigers will be especially keen to spoil the party and allow fullback Brayden Torpy to register three more points along the way to bring up 200 points in the Cup for the Tigers. He has also scored 39 for past club the Northern Pride.
- This weekend, Norths will be keen to equal their longest ever winning streak this weekend of nine games and to also make it five wins on the trot at home.
Central Queensland Capras v Tweed Seagulls
Match: Capras v Seagulls
Round 15 -
Venue: Browne Park, Rockhampton
Head-to-head: Tweed 26, Central 7, drawn 1
Hashtags: #intrustsupercup #CQCvTWE
- These two teams met in the opening round of the season, with the Seagulls just scraping by for a 28-18 victory after training the Capras 18-12 at half-time.
- This weekend, both the Seagulls and the Capras are coming off close losses and will be keen to regain that winning feeling, with Tweed in particular keen to maintain their standing near the top of the ladder.
- It is a lopsided head-to-head record for the two sides, with the Seagulls having won the past five and 17 of the past 18 games between these two sides.
- Tweed have also won the past nine games between these two sides at Browne Park, while the Capras have lost 11 of their last 13 games at Browne Park with two drawn results.
- In this game, Tweed will be aiming for their 200th Cup win in their 404th game. They have 14 draws and 140 losses.
- Named to come off the interchange bench, this is set to be the 50th Cup game for forward McKenzie Yei who previously played for PNG Hunters. Yei moved to the Capras in 2020 and has been in solid form for his club in 2021.
- Earlier in the day, the St George Illawarra Dragons and South Sydney Rabbitohs will play their Round 20 NRL match at the venue.
Northern Pride v Sunshine Coast Falcons
Match: Pride v Falcons
Round 15 -
Venue: Barlow Park, Cairns
Head-to-head: Northern Pride 12, Sunshine Coast 12
Hashtags: #intrustsupercup #PRIDEvSCF
- The Sunshine Coast will be looking to avoid two losses in a season to the Northern Pride with a win in this weekend’s clash in Cairns.
- Despite the Pride coming off a strong win last weekend where they registered their largest ever win against Wynnum Manly Seagulls with a 42-12 result, the Falcons are well in with a chance; winning two of the past three games at Barlow Park against the Pride. The Falcons have also won three out of their last four away games.
- The Pride are in good form as a whole and have won three out of their last four home games.
- Last weekend, Pride centre Shawn Bowen celebrated his 50th Cup game in style with his side posting a big win.
Redcliffe Dolphins v Mackay Cutters
Match: Dolphins v Cutters
Round 15 -
Venue: Mathieson Park, Petrie
Head-to-head: Redcliffe Dolphins 13, Mackay Cutters 9, drawn 2
Hashtags: #intrustsupercup #PHINSvMC
Broadcast: Intrust Super Sundays via Kayo Freebies, 9Now, QRL.com.au, Intrust Super Cup app and Intrust Super Cup Facebook
- In Round 1 when they two teams last met, Redcliffe claimed a close 28-30 win and will want to repeat their winning performance.
- The Cutters come into this game with some winning momentum behind them after running down the PNG Hunters to post a 40-30 comeback win in Round 12’s postponed match. That was the most points they’ve ever scored against the Hunters.
- Redcliffe however are a formidable foe and have not only won their past three games, they have also won their last two games against Mackay.
- The Dolphins have also registered nine wins out of their last 10 games at Moreton Daily Stadium; however their home game this weekend will take place at Mathieson Oval.
- In an interesting quirk, despite being placed fourth on the ladder, Redcliffe are ranked eighth in both attack and defence.
*Statistics by Brad Tallon