QRL Media Release: October 13, 2015

The QRL Northern Division has today released the findings from the Townsville & District Junior Rugby League Disciplinary Tribunal’s review of an under 15 grand final on September 12.

·        14 individuals were asked to appear before the Tribunal. Of those cited, 13 were spectators and one was a Leaguesafe runner.

·        The Tribunal issued suspensions totalling 41 years with another six years of suspended sentences also applied. (Note: Those issued with suspensions are banned from attending or participating in the game of rugby league for the duration of their sanction)

·        Five individuals have appealed their suspensions.

The findings follow the Tribunal’s initial investigations into the on-field actions of players who were suspended for a combined 31 weeks. The suspended players accepted their bans without challenge.

“While the events that transpired during this game aren’t a regular occurrence given that we have anywhere between seven and eight thousand games each season, we want to make it very clear that such behaviour will not be tolerated,” QRL Northern Division Manager Scott Nosworthy said today.

“We will always endeavour to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for all those who attend rugby league matches in North Queensland.

“That’s why we have treated this matter seriously from the outset and have thoroughly reviewed the incident from every possible avenue.”

Nosworthy said all suspensions were issued in accordance with the rules of the QRL and due process had been followed.