You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content


Souths 26 def Highfields 22

Souths Tigers continued their stellar season when they beat Highfields at Clive Berghofer Stadium on Saturday night (May 21). But they didn’t have it all their own way when Highfields Eagles burst out of the blocks to lead 16-nil. Eagles coach Gus McKellar said it was the best start of the season for them. Tigers stemmed the tide to get back to a 16-12 scoreboard at half time. Souths built on their momentum to lead 20-16 midway through the second stanza until Highfields grabbed the lead back 22-20 with 5 minutes remaining. Highfields were attacking the Tigers line when three-try hero Aaron Hooper grabbed an opportunity to run 90m to secure the win for the premiership leaders. For the Tigers, captain coach Daniel Holmes was outstanding whilst Jake Cooley and Hayden Edmonds played well for the Eagles

Souths 26 (Aaron Hooper 3, Corey Blades, Adam Waters, Connor Pyke tries; Luke Nolan goal) def Highfields 22 (Nick Bambridge 2, Braydon Mitchell, Robbie Elara tries; Jarrod Lee 3 goals)


Wattles 36 def Goondiwindi 18

Wattles got their season back on track when they overcame an improving Goondiwindi at Goondiwindi on Saturday night. The Warriors scored four tries to three with Jason Wilmott’s boot the difference. He kicked eight goals in a clinical display from the competition’s best boot. Wattles best were Joe Morris, Wilmott and Cameron Shannon who scored two tries off the bench.

Goondiwindi coach Matt Galvin, although happy with the effort, said execution let them down. Adam Tribe, Callum Skinner, McKenna Gibson and Ronnie David were the Boars best.

Wattles 36 (Cameron Shannon 2, Michael Duggan, Jason Wilmott, Harry Fulwood tries; Jason Wilmott 8 goals) def Goondiwindi 18 (Shane O’Brien, Timothy Tribe, Ronnie David, Levi Wilson tries; Adam Tribe goal)

Brothers 30 def Warwick 18

Brothers rise in 2016 was confirmed at the weekend when they defeated a consistent Warwick at Glenhome Park on Sunday afternoon (May 22). The Brethren took their opportunities better than the opposition. They scored just before half time to take the lead into the break 16-12. 

In the second half, the match was there for the taking. A Michael Cochrane-led Brothers again took the opportunities and held a 24-18 lead until just before full time when they scored an intercept try. Apart from Cochrane, young Hayden Bartlett, 17, played well on debut. Whilst Ricky Davies and Ben Raralevu were also good for Brothers.

Warwick coach Craig Mullaly confirmed they failed to take their opportunities. He praised Trent Richardson and Mick Bloomfield in a beaten side. Mullaly said the Brothers try just before half time cost them. He was still proud of his troops as the opposition had to play well to beat them.

Brothers 30 (Michael Cochrane 3, Marcus Cochrane 2, Brayden Barrett tries; Michael Witt 3 goals) defeated Warwick 18 (Matt Marshall, Ryan McIvor, Brook Croft tries; Dylan Galloway 2, Mick Bloomfield goals)


Valleys 36 def Oakey 16

Valleys coach Wayne Barnett was impressed with Oakey who played a good spoiling game. Barnett said the game was scrappy and Oakey frustrated his Roosters. He moved in-form second rower Dexter Buchanan to the front row, which paid dividends. The return of Josh Birch lifted the Roosters. Luke Ash also played well for the Roosters.

For the Bears, Steven Rodgers forged on with his stellar season and Nathan Thomas continued to play above his weight.

Valleys 36 (Tyren Nicholls 3, Luke Ash 2, Mitchell Sargent 2 tries; Josh Hancock 4 goals) defeated Oakey 16 (Nathan Thomas, Steven Rodgers, Blake Johnson-Kelly tries; Dylan Adamson 2 goals)

Gatton 35 def Dalby 28

Dalby Diehards hosted the Hutchies match of the round when Gatton travelled in a must-win situation for both sides. Dalby started well to lead the Hawks 16-6 in the first half until tries to Dennis Burgoyne and Alex Ambia snatched the half-time lead 18-16. Ambia’s try really took the wind from Dalby’s sail and Callum Woolacott booted the sideline conversion to just add to the momentum.

That effort ended up being the turning point as the Hawks did not lift the foot off the pedal, even though Dylan and Mitch Taylor tried their hardest to get back into the match. Dalby got back to within striking distance at 24-22 then 34-28 but Gatton seemed to always have control.

Dalby coach Kerry Carmichael lamented that losing the ball at crucial periods cost them the match. Especially when they had control of the game five minutes before half time. He pointed out that captain Colin Green was excellent in a beaten side as was hooker Danny Wassell.

Gatton coach Nicki John Harch said it was the gutsiest win of the season. He praised Hutchies player of the round Dom Haak as well as Allan Morris whose best season to date rolled on.

Gatton 35 (Dom Haak, Dennis Burgoyne, Alex Ambia, Cameron Nicholls, Tye Gray, Robbie Fletcher tries Callum Woolacott 5 goals and a field Goal) def Dalby 28 (Sam Thommason, Mitch Taylor, Dylan Taylor, Danny Wassell, Chris Wilkes tries; Zac Morris 4 goals)