Queensland kicking candidates by the numbers
With Cam Smith recently retiring from all forms of rep footy, there are several common questions being asked:
"Who will play hooker?"
"Who will replace him as captain?"
"Who will replace Cam Smith and Johnathan Thurston as first choice goal kicker?"
While the first two questions are far more subjective, we can use statistics to assess the credentials of those capable of stepping up to the kicking tee.
Given a number of Origin series have been defined by a single goal kick, it's fair to say the issue will be more than a minor consideration for selectors.
Below is a list of players who could potentially fill the goal kicking void:
*Statistics are based upon performances in the NRL
INCUMBENT MAROONS (Game 3, 2017)
1. Valentine Holmes: 23 goals at 72%
2. Ben Hunt: 25 goals at 69%
3. Cam Munster: 12 goals at 52%
POTENTIAL CALL UPS:
1. Moses Mbye: 93 goals at 70%
2. Daly Cherry-Evans: 76 goals at 69%
3. Ash Taylor: 64 goals at 69%
4. Ethan Lowe: 69 goals at 68%
5. Anthony Milford: 36 goals at 68%
6. Kalyn Ponga: 17 goals at 65%
7. Kyle Feldt: 18 goals at 60%