Hunters to overcome lack of trial games

The trial game that was proposed to take place between the PNG Hunters and Brisbane Broncos during the pre-season has been called off.

PNGRFL CEO Reatau Rau said the Brisbane Broncos management and new coach Anthony Seibold had been in contact to convey that the trial match (which was tentatively proposed for February 23, 2019 in Port Moresby) would not go ahead.

“The trial was in former coach Wayne Bennet’s plans,” Rau said.

“However, when new coach Anthony Seibold took the reins last December, he and his staff and management had their priorities and the trial match against the Hunters was not one of them.”

Rau said initially it was suggested that a Broncos development squad could come to Port Moresby to take on the Hunters.

The two clubs met in a preseason match in the PNG capital in February last year. Read > Broncos defeat spirited Hunters in trial

“Last weekend they decided that no Broncos team would travel up,” Rau said.

Rau said while it was disappointing news for PNG fans, he and the PNGRFL respected the decision and why it had been made.

Hunters coach Michael Marum said the news meant his side would not have a preseason trial match this year.

However, the squad remained focused on the season ahead and would prepare for their Round 1 match against Tweed Heads Seagulls in Brisbane on March 10.

“We can’t do much about it,” Marum said.

“Other Intrust Super Cup clubs offered to host a trial in Brisbane, but the logistics and costs involved to arrange this at this (late) stage is enormous.

“Therefore, we will not have a trial match, but (we will) prepare as well as we can for the first game on March 10.”

The Hunters have been training strongly in the pre-season and have been making adjustments to their squad.