You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Dolphins secure last-gasp win to break Jets hearts

Sea World might be interested in the quick learning and actions of the Redcliffe Dolphins who have conjured the greatest escape trick at the North Ipswich Reserve today against the Ipswich Jets.

Down 22-12 with seven minutes to go, the Jets looked to have secured their fourth win in a row over the Dolphins.

Redcliffe, led by Hastings Deerings man of the match Jordan Grant, had other ideas and came back to secure the Dolphins their third win in a row and take the premiers well in to the top eight.

The first 18 minutes was the Jets absorbing pressure and defending their own line before they went down the other end and forced an error from the Dolphins.

On the spot was Isimeeli Hafoka who scored in the left hand corner, with his second career try giving the Jets the start they were craving 6-0 after 20 minutes.

The Jets called on the chip-chase try when Jayden Connors went through the line and kicked ahead. He got there first, and kicked ahead for Shar Walden to collect the ball and run away to score his second try in five games with nine minutes until halftime.

Ipswich then allowed a soft try to the Dolphins with a minute before the break when Nick Brown dived over between the defending Jets and the Dolphins went to halftime with something to show for all their possession, trailing 12-6.

The second half was similar to the first with both teams feeling their way in attack until the Jets busted the game open with a bomb that was taken by Michael Purcell. 

The Jets, sensing space, spun it out to their left and found Rogan Dean who ran the ball around to score and give the Jets 18-6 lead with 24 minutes to play.

Dean was again involved five minutes later when he took and intercept and rumbled up field running 90m to put the Jets in great attacking position.

The Jets crafty hooker Kierran Moseley detected space and rolled the ball in to the in goal, but was held back from getting to his kick. Jacob Teevan however, could not be stopped from scoring under the posts and 22-6 with nine minutes to play the Jets looked to have the game won.

The Dolphins had nine minutes to find three tries. The stakes were high and they gambled plenty and reaped the rewards to secure this win.

Tyson Gamble – back from his time at Wests Tigers – and Justice Utatao stepped up and play arguably the seven minutes of their lives.

Redcliffe regained their short kick off and put it through the hands for Utatao to score his first try in the 72 minute.

Gamble converted and the score was now 22-12 with six minutes to play.

The next set, the Jets made a handling error awarding the Dolphins a scrum 20m out and three minutes to play.

The Dolphins put it through the hands and again it was Utatao who scored in the left hand corner.

That made the scores 22-18 with minutes remaining.

The defending premiers then secured a repeat set and from the attacking position and went left again and again it was Utatao who went over for his third try to give Gamble the kick to win the game at 22-22.

Gamble piloted it straight over and the Dolphins had a 24-22 win after the siren.


Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners