You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Straddie books grand final berth

Stradbroke Island Sharks have booked themselves a spot in the Rugby League Brisbane Men's Open 3 South grand final with a hard fought 18-10 preliminary final win over Springwood Tigers.

The Sharks' huge contingent of supporters who made the trek over to Brandon Park were treated to a vintage display by captain and club stalwart Andrew Karklis and former Ipswich Jets star Wes Conlon.

But the Tigers, who this year were dedicating the season to Khanui Cox’s father, did show glimpses of brilliance and got off to a flyer.

The Sharks let the ball bounce from the kickoff and were made to pay dearly, when centre Josh Walker latched onto the bouncing pill to cross for the easiest of tries.

It appeared that try rattled the Sharks and they were stuck in second gear as the Tigers continued to press and probe around the middle of the rucks.

Tigers forwards Jorge Faagase and Kurt Sparey were taking some stopping and the mounted pressure from Springwood eventually saw them cross again in the 24th minute.

Tigers lock Cameron Paul used his brute strength to palm off two would-be Sharks defenders and bustled his way over beside the sticks.

The Tigers, who were exploiting the left edge through centre Walker, was also proving to be a handful out wide.

His fancy footwork was troubling the Sharks and he could have scored another blistering try in the 29th minute, if not for being superbly cut down by Sharks' Ratu Waqanivalu inches from the line.

Conlon’s kicking game would be the catalyst for the Sharks first try, grubbering a perfectly weighted kick for Robert Morganson, who put Straddie on the board for the first time.

That try awoke the Sharks from their slumber and from here it was a case of do or die.

With Conlon’s experience calling the shots and the vision of hooker Karklis, the pair combined to nearly put Oscar Brewster in for a try before the break, but he was bundled into touch on the bell.

Cox was playing on one leg through injuries and was tireless in attack and defence, the ageless warrior once again proving age is just a number.

However, Straddie wouldn't have a bar of the fairytale and hit the lead for the first time in the 38th minute through Damon Goolagong, who was outstanding for the Sharks.

Cox ultimately succumbed to injury, leaving the Tigers hanging on for dear life.

But on the other side, Conlon’s experience of scoring 500-plus points for the Jets was telling and the Indigenous centre would have the last say in the match.

Throwing a superb cut out pass to Zane Hendricks, the second rower made no mistake crossing the line to seal what was a great come-from-behind win for the Sharks to set up a mouthwatering showdown against Waterford Demons in the grand final this Saturday.

Acknowledgement of Country

Queensland Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Platinum Partners

View All Partners