The Pat Shepherdson Memorial Shield will be on the line when the Tugun Seahawks host the Southport Tigers at Boyd Street on Saturday.
Shepherdson was a beloved member of the Rugby League Gold Coast community, who had deep ties to both Southport and Tugun; he passed in 2011 and the Tigers and Seahawks have competed in his memory ever since.
“This is an important game to honour Pat’s memory,” Tugun coach Clint Barends said.
“A lot of players are mates with Pat’s son, and we want to put on a good show for his family. The ties run deep.”
Tugun will be chasing back-to-back wins after defeating Bilambil in their last outing; centres Tim Cassidy and Kurtis McDonald starred for the Seahawks that day with three and two tries respectively.
It was their first win of the season after tight losses to competition heavyweights Burleigh, Runaway Bay and Currumbin in their first three appearances.
Now, thanks to that big win, the Seahawks have the opportunity to move as high as third on the ladder if they can defeat the Tigers this weekend.
Southport Tigers have wins over Currumbin and Ormeau so far this season and thanks to a strong defensive record sit in second place on the ladder, just ahead of Currumbin and Runaway Bay.
It is an important game for the Tigers as well, who have lost two of their last three and risk dropping as low as fifth if can’t defeat the Seahawks at Boyd Street this Saturday.
Southport coach Steve Dowd said he is expecting a physical encounter with Tugun, and that his men will need to be switched on mentally in order to get back in the winner’s circle.
“Decision making and patience are where we need to improve,” he said.
“I said to the boys, ‘we don’t have to fire the gun every time we get the ball.’ We need to be a bit smarter with the football and get our kicking game in order.”
The Seahawks will host Southport at Boyd Street on Saturday from 3pm. The game is the match of the round and will be livestreamed on Rugby League Gold Coast social media.
Other Round 6 fixtures include the Runaway Bay Seagulls hosting the Bilambil Jets, with the premiers looking to bounce back after a loss to Currumbin in Round 5.
The Seagulls have struggled with injuries in the opening rounds, but still possess plenty of firepower while Bilambil will be looking to snap a three-game losing streak.
Finally, the unbeaten Burleigh Bears host the Ormeau Shearers; Currumbin Eagles have the bye.
* Main image courtesy of Jerad Williams - Gold Coast Bulletin
Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade Round 6
Tugun Seahawks v Southport Tigers – Saturday, April 27 at Boyd Street, Tugun - 3pm
1. Wyndham Peachey 2. Troy Canning 3. Kurtis Mac Donald 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Corey Morris 6. Isaac Worboys 7. Jacob Grant 8. Josh Harvey 9. Sam Meskell 10. Nick Harrold 11. Bryce Thomas 12. Rob Apanui 13. Ayden Lee 14. Zac Jones 15. Macauley Dawson 16. Levi Norton 17. Ethan Roberts
Coach: Clint Barends
1. Cambpell Pirihi 2. Zoram Watene 3. Lee Turner 4. Jack Conlan 5. Corey Walker 6. Kobi Annand 7. Zac Walsh 8. Jarrod Morfett 9. Jacob Pottinger 10. Denzal Ngati 11. Tu Whakathi-Paikea 12. Tevita Folau 13. Luke Polson 14. Liam Hampson 15 . Dallas Donnelly 16. Simione Ata 17. Carlo Alimboyong
Coach: Steve Dowd
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Bilambil Jets – Saturday, April 27 at Runaway Bay Seniors - 4pm
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Steve Tolo 3. Daniel Kelly 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Jake Powell 6. Alan White 7. James Poland 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Jenan Wedderburn-Parrish 10. Javarh Nofoagatotoa 11. Darcy Sims 12. Taylor Daniels 13. Tane-James Rapira 14. Kimihia Pakipaki-Hemopo 15. Daniel Palavi 16. Doryaan Hape Apiata 17. Tamanui Nicholas
Coach: Nick Gleeson
1. Luke Jaeger 2. Sam Beazley 3. Nathan Ingram 4. Max Campion 5. Blake Graham 6. Conrad Green 7. Carne Rhodes 8. Mitch Spackman 9. Thomas Rowles 10. Kobi Hugen 11. Jack Rowles 12. Bailey Faull 13. Jack Welsh 14. PJ Tevaga 15. Ryan Tyalor 16. Brendan Welsh 17. Josh Quinn
Coach: Kevin Campion
Burleigh Bears v Ormeau Shearers – Sunday, April 28 at Pizzey Park - 2pm
1. Henare Wells 2. Te Mcdonald 3. Regan Muir Ogle 4. Josh Berkers 5. Tyrone Roberts-Davis 6. Taine Tuaupiki 7. Connor Toia 8. Oliver Percy 9. Bailey Court 10. Tyler Sparkes 11. Api Noema 12. Darius Farmer 13. Sam Saville 14. George House 15. Gene Ropoama 16. Ben Valeni 17. Brett Stratton
Coach: Matt Foster
1. Brogan Melrose 2. Jayden Alaiasa-Heu 3. Hirini Robin 4. Liam Hori-Clark 5. Shay Stevens 6. Jay Melrose 7. Joshua Willetts 8. Timothy Wolens 9. Grayson Te Kiri 10. Jesse Malcolm 11. Parahi Wilson 12. Matthew Parata 13. Blake Midson 14. Anthony Gray 15. Te Rupe Douglas-Webb 16. Chase Kereama-Williams 17. Martin Burkhardt
Coach: Julius Kuresa
Currumbin Eagles, BYE
|4||Runaway Bay Seagulls||1||11|